There will also be a quiz or test on every Thursday.
5th Grade: (6th graders, please scroll down for 6th grade assignment.)
TEST on Thursday, Dec 20 on Earth: The Water Planet
Italics are study aids. They help you give a complete answer. The Italics will not be on actual test!
- Explain, or describe, three (3) properties of water. Here are some terms that will help you answer this question: polar molecule, adhesion, cohesion, capillary action, surface tension, universal solvent and specific heat.
- Draw a diagram explaining the states of matter. At what temperatures (Fahrenheit) will water be a liquid, a gas, and a solid? Correctly use these terms in your answer: evaporation, boiling, melting, freezing and condensation.
- Give three, well explained reasons why all living things need water. You must include photosynthesis and shelter as two of the reasons.
- How much of the Earth’s water is fresh water? (%) What are the 5 types of, or places we find, fresh water? Correctly use these terms in your answer: glacier, groundwater, and vapor.
- Draw a diagram of the water cycle. Correctly use these terms in your diagram: evaporation, transpiration, condensation, precipitation, runoff, groundwater.
- Describe three (3) different ways that lakes form. Why will all lakes eventually die? Correctly use these terms in your answer: reservoir, in-fill.
- What is a wetland? Why are wetlands like the Everglades important? Correctly use these terms in your answer: habitat, food supply, filtration and flood buffer.
- How does water move underground? What is an aquifer? Correctly use terms these terms in your answer: permeable, impermeable, groundwater.
- Why does a well have water? Draw a diagram describing and explaining a water table. Why do people use a pump at a well? What kind of well does not need a pump? Correctly use these terms in your answer: saturated zone, water table, unsaturated zone, and artesian well.
- What is a spring? Correctly use these terms in your answer: permeable layer, impermeable layer, and groundwater.
Test on Tuesday, Dec 18 2018 on plate tectonics (things that Einstein did not know when he was a teenager)
What was Wegener’s evidence for continental drift or Pangaea?
What are mid-ocean ridges?
What is sea-floor spreading?
What are ocean trenches and subduction?
What is the theory of Plate Tectonics?
Describe the three (3) types of plate boundaries.
Describe the three (3) types of faults in rocks.
Describe the three (3) types of seismic waves.
What is a tsunami? What causes tsunamis?
What is a volcano? How are volcanoes related to plate tectonics?
Describe the three (3) types of volcanoes.